Re: [opensuse] Compiling the Suse way
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:33:34 -0700

Except '.' isn't part of root's PATH

So? Add it. I do.

People are too paranoid about silly things like root having dot in
PATH.

I can never tell when you are kidding Randall.
Please tell me you DO understand the risk this entails?

Someone has to break in to lay any trap that could be sprung by root
having dot in its PATH.

I don't consider it a big risk for me on my personal-use systems.

Not on a personal use system, perhaps.

But all you have to do is be absent mindedly "cd" into some users
directory (as root) working on some administrative task and if your
path contains a dot (especially as a leading element) you run that
user's version of whatever command you might invoke.

I'm not sure if there are any scenarios where this affects tasks run
as root from cron etc, but its another thing to consider.