Re: [opensuse] Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
On Friday 06 June 2008 02:21:04 am Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Friday 2008-06-06 at 01:40 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
Philipp Thomas wrote:

Checkinstall has been dropped from openSUSE because it doesn't work
anymore. Checkinstall's trick is to load a library via LD_PRELOAD that
redirects all functions dealing with files. Now for installing a
package you need to be root and for programs running with root
privileges the dynamic loader ignores LD_PRELOAD as this would otherwise
be a huge security problem.

So checkinstall has become useless and was therefore dropped.

Yep, I know, I tried to use it and it failed miserably. "make
install" still works.

Obviously.

But this way the rpm database is not informed.

You may for instance remove something with Yast because you want to use
your own compiled version instead, but as you didn't install an rpm with
that name, every time you fire YOU it will want to reinstall the missing
rpm :-(

Plus dependencies problems galore.

I tend to agree. Now that I've learned about CheckInstall it is all that I use
to install items that I've had to compile.

Not sure why running a privilage like LD_PRELOAD for the five seconds or so
that Checkinstall runs would be a security risk.

Anyone care to explain?

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com || www.perfectreign.com