[opensuse] Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:21:04 +0200 (CEST)

The Friday 2008-06-06 at 01:40 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:

Philipp Thomas wrote:
Checkinstall has been dropped from openSUSE because it doesn't work
anymore. Checkinstall's trick is to load a library via LD_PRELOAD that
redirects all functions dealing with files. Now for installing a package
you need to be root and for programs running with root privileges the
dynamic loader ignores LD_PRELOAD as this would otherwise be a huge
security problem.

So checkinstall has become useless and was therefore dropped.

Yep, I know, I tried to use it and it failed miserably. "make install" still works.

Obviously.

But this way the rpm database is not informed.

You may for instance remove something with Yast because you want to use your own compiled version instead, but as you didn't install an rpm with that name, every time you fire YOU it will want to reinstall the missing rpm :-(

Plus dependencies problems galore.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.