Re: [opensuse] Compiling the Suse way
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 01:40:50 -0500
Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:02:09 -0500, Jim Flanagan wrote:

This method uses configure > make > checkinstall (instead of make install).

Checkinstall has been dropped from openSUSE because it doesn't work
anymore. Checkinstall's trick is to load a library via LD_PRELOAD that
redirects all functions dealing with files. Now for installing a package
you need to be root and for programs running with root privileges the
dynamic loader ignores LD_PRELOAD as this would otherwise be a huge
security problem.

So checkinstall has become useless and was therefore dropped.

Philipp

Yep, I know, I tried to use it and it failed miserably. "make install" still works.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC