Re: [opensuse] solved (+ OT rant): cannot connect to WLAN
  • From: Evens Garde <evans.garde@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 22:47:51 -0400
Daniel Bauer wrote:
The solution was simple: reset the modem-router to factory defaults.
OT-Rant about non-linux-supporting "support" below...
On Tuesday 03 June 2008 15:30:12, Daniel Bauer wrote:

I have a weird problem with my WLAN - everything seems to work but I cannot connect via WLAN to the Zyxel adsl modem/router anymore. I am here in Barcelona/Spain and the telephone company telefonica supports only...
well...
Today I didn see the WLAN of my modem anymore in the list of
KNetworkManager.
So I called telefonica and they said, there might be too many users with the same channel. So using a cable ethernet connection and via Web-Interface of the Zyxel modem I changed the wlan-modem settings to another channel.
Now I can see the WLAN again, but I cannot connect.

[rant]
So, something went wrong while I changed the WLAN channel in the modem router.
I called again telefonica's "support" line (6 cents/minute for waiting...) and there he said: I see from your last call that you use an operating system instead of great holy Windows. I am very sorry but we cannot give any support to people not using Windows.
I insisted: it is a problem of the router, that's independent of the OS. He: Yes, but we will have to check the functions of the modem and for this we need Windows programs, so I really cannot give you any advice.

So, I rebooted with that Vista that's still on this laptop, clicked a thousand times: no, idon't want to update, no, I don't want to buy Norton, yes it's ok if it remains insecure (well, it's Windows, isn't it, and Norton wouldn't change that), no I don't want Windows mess-aging, no, I can look out of the window if I want to know about the weather [it rained]...) and finally the "system" stopped asking me stupid questions and so I called Telefonica again.

And guess what: the supporter asked me to open Internet-Exploder, connect via cable to the modem-router and tell him what was written on the screen.... That was all! Just open a browser! I could have done that with any operating system. But Telefonica insists that the Browser must be opened with Windows! ¡increíble!

I guess M$ pays quite a sum to Telefonica for this unbelievable "information"...
[/rant]

Did you tell the "support" person that he or she is a
complete idiot? I would have.

Sorry to fill your mailbox with that - I just had to get rid of the feelings.

Thanks to the list people for the help and hints.

Daniel