Re: [opensuse] Getting SSH to Work
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:18:24 -0700
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John Andersen wrote:

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Joe Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Rick Bilonick wrote:

I'm running SLED 10.1. sshd is running (I can ssh to localhost) and I've
opened port 22 for ssh in the firewall. I can access web pages (which
means I have access to the Internet) but I cannot access two other
computers (even using their IP's). (I can access these computers from
another laptop running Fedora 8 through the same wireless router.)

How can I determine what is going wrong? I've tried disabling the
firewall completely (although it always seems to come on by itself) to
see if it was blocking ssh. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tcptraceroute could tell you where the packets are being dropped.

Joe
--

Red herring. Packets are not being dropped. He said he could
connect thru the same router with other machines.

That doesn't mean the packets aren't being dropped when coming from this
particular machine. I could demonstrate selective packet dropping with
iptables and a few test machines, but you get the point, right?

He turned off his firewall, so its not his machine.
The routers allow all other machines to ssh outbound.

Therefore, baring any selective blocking of ssh at the router
(which he would probably know about because the symptoms
would include "no rote to host") you can safely assume
there is no blockage.

Tech support is the art of arriving at the most probable fault given
half the data, in the wrong order.