Third party and non-GPL drivers was Re: [opensuse] wireless doesn't work in suse 11 RC1
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:07:02 +0100

John Andersen wrote:
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:31 AM, G T Smith
<grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ubuntu may be bending the rules, but there is little mileage in anyone
taking them on as there is not a lot to be gained (not a lot in bank),

That's a pretty serious allegation you've made there.
Do you have anything to back it up?

What allegation!? What I am merely pointing out is that the
Ubuntu/Kubuntu with their target market and profile can take risks that
Novell/SuSE with a different target market and profile may find
unacceptable. (whether those risks are real or perceived is a different
question).

Ubuntu uses a "Restricted Driver Management" tool to install
proprietary drivers only after the user specifically requests the
install. These drivers are not in the normal repositories.

Hang on a minute... just what is the build service, packman etc etc??..
different approach same result.... in your originally post you seemed to
be implying something rather different....

As for chicken/egg: I've never seen a laptop that supported
wifi but had no cat5 port.

The existence of wired networking is not in itself a sufficient
condition to assume connectivity. I have been around long enough to
remember laptops (and desktops) that used hardware configurations that
required OEM versions of driver sets and would not run with generic
drivers. I would expect that to be a potential issue with ULPCs....(i.e.
the Asus eee comes with a version of Xandros specifically tweaked for
the hardware).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup