Re: [opensuse] Mozilla certainly has an apetite for memory...
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 03:47:03 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2008-06-03 at 21:28 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

Check and see if the consumption fault is in flash-player. I keep trunk
builds of SM up 24/7. I just restarted the whole 10.2 system yesterday after
8 days up for SM and 88 days up for the system and SM was totally reasonable
at that point. But, I stopped allowing SM to know about flash-player several
months ago. Before then, SM was quite a pig after several days of uptime
unless I had managed to avoid letting any Flash load.

I have flash disabled, using... I forgot the name, we commented it here.

What I notice now if that, even if it is using that much memory, and that most of it has to be swapped out (I only have 1 GiB ram, and almost half half of it is used in cache and buffers), the system doesn't feel sluggish. Before I stopped flash from running, on other occasions, the system did feel slow.

My feeling is that FF is leaving holes of memory freed that can not be reused. The window is closed, the memory is freed, somehow, but maybe it is fragmented or something and it can not be given back to the OS or reused. Something like that, I don't know that much about Linux memory management.

It does show that swap has it uses, though... without it that memory would be ram. Before I restarted FF a while ago I had about 1.3 GiB swapped, and now about .7

FF3 I don't keep open long enough to know any trends even though I let it &
FF2 load Flash.

I haven't tried FF3 yet.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.