[opensuse] Compiling the Suse way
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 21:23:32 +0700
Have never felt the need to compile anything because practically everything
you need is nicely packaged for OpenSUSE.
I have now a webcam on my 10.3 which will not work properly with the
gstreamer0.10 and its plugins, the good, bad and ugly. There have been
several bugs solved which are not included in the 10.3 suse packages.
I was told the that the versions of my OS are all older so i should have to
compile it all from source...plugins and the application itself.
Version of the good plugin e.g. is 0.10.8 now (my version
gstreamer010-plugins-good = 0.10.6-41@i586) so a lot of bugs have been fixed.

Before I start compiling I would like to know if the gstreamer packages for
11.0 are up to date and if I could use them in 10.3.

If not, I can remember that in order to keep suse specific changes in a
compilation there was a way to get the compilation done. Or was that only for
compiling kernels?