Re: [opensuse] Ralink RT2561 and rt61 vs. rt2x00
  • From: Joe Morris <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 18:07:00 +0800
On 06/03/2008 04:45 PM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
I'm using Ralink's rt61 drivers for these, some late CVS
version, which runs fine with SMP kernel. Early versions had a nasty
tendency to just freeze the machine.

I see OpenSUSE 10.3 only ships rt2x00, but I've experienced that driver
with mixed results. Now I'd rather use the rt61 driver.

Q1: what's the *orthodox* way to get that module on my system?
What kernel are you running? Assuming the default updated kernel, add
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/schmolle1980/openSUSE_10.3_update/
to your software repositories, and then install the correct rt61-cvs package for your arch via Yast.
Is there
a repo somewhere which contains rt61 RPMS?
Yes, for different flavor kernels, under http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/schmolle1980/
Is there such a thing as DKMS
for OpenSUSE?
?
As last resort, I could always build from source, make an
RPMS with Checkinstall and install that, but I would have to redo this
on every kernel update.
Not if you add the repository above. This package will be rebuilt to match the latest update kernel
Q2: how often do kernel updates happen here ( = on 10.3), approximately?

Not too often, but it is painless if you set it up properly.

--
Joe Morris