Re: [opensuse] wireless doesn't work in suse 11 RC1
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:03:08 -0700
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Peter Van Lone pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Masim Vavai Sugianto <vavai@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I have same problem with AR-5212. Wifi driver ath5k doesn't work. You
have 2 choice for this kind problem :

1. Manually install madwifi driver from tar.gz (madwifi.org), with
standar ./configure, make and make install. You must have gcc, make
and kernel-source for this

2. Marek Stopka has built madwifi driver for openSUSE. Please take a
look here :
http://www.m4r3k.org/english/opensuse-linux/madwifi-driver-for-opensuse-110/

I choose the first option and my AR-5212 worked flawlessly.

The question for me is why would open suse not have support for
devices? I'm sick of hearing either "but it just works in Ubuntu" or
"but it just works in Windows"!

GAH!

Peter

openSUSE adheres strictly to licensing issues where Ubunto doesn't seem to
care if they get sued.

But they haven't got sued have they!!!

Isn't it more likely Ubuntu have negotiated a redistribution license
or are simply using ndiswrapper with windows drivers downloaded
directly from the source?

This bugaboo of law suits is a lame excuse. If the lawyers that
veto all the drivers that suse leaves out or cripples spent half
that amount oif time on the phone negotiating redistribution
opensuse would be a complete distro out of the box/torrent.

These could be packaged separately so as safely segregate these
drivers from the GPL.