Re: [opensuse] would you recommend a BIOS update?
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:25:13 -0700
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Yesterday my new HP Pavilion HP Pavilion dv9760ez Notebook did not want to
boot at all after a kind of freeze that happened when I disabled the
touchpad. The keyboard and the mouse were blocked. After pressing the on/off
switch openSuse 10.3 shut down but finally did not switch off the computer.

When switching the computer on again I could hear the disk and the fan but the
screen remained black, not even the BIOS/HP logo appeared.

After googling I read two things:
- taking out the battery and the power cable for a while, then restart again
(that worked)
- some forum threads said that's a BIOS issue, I should update the BIOS.

I always walk on egg shells when I have to update the bios.

I've usually managed to find ways to do it without re-installing
any windows crap.

If Vista is on it and that's what it came with I'd install the bios
upgrade using vista unless HP has a method for doing
a bios upgrade without use of windows.

I would do the bios upgrade.
I would do this while the machine is still under warranty.

FYI: a useful tactic order new laptops with the smallest disk
available, take it out install one of the size you want and
run Linux on that, keeping the small disk for problems
like this.

use the small disk