Re: [opensuse]
  • From: David Bolt <bcrafhfr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:15:19 +0100
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, jdd sur free wrote:-

Richard Ibbotson wrote:

through the world of 64-bit Linux software was going to be more hard

first, if you ever have to reinstall that 32 bits software runs very
well on 64 bits hardware, so you are not at all obliged to use 64 bits
distros, you even shouldn't do.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why not? I keep seeing this said, most often by yourself, but I've yet
to see anyone actually give a good reason for not doing so. There's been
multiple comments on how Flash doesn't work but, as you point out, 32bit
software runs on it and so you can find ways around that little problem.
And, so far, I've been running versions of 64bit since SUSE 10.0 without
problems.

64 bit distros are only worth if you have more than 4Gb ram (much more)

Or you have some tasks where the software benefits from the extra
registers. Or just because you have 64bit hardware and want to use a
64bit distro on it.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-P2 @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~15Mkeys
SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0RC1