Re: [opensuse] swap file placement
  • From: Evens Garde <evans.garde@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 02:22:52 -0400
Jerry Feldman wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:21:03 -0700
"John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Duaine & Laura Hechler
<dahechler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks to all. I was beginning to think along the same lines - it
depends on your going to use the system.
I generally put swap at the front of the drive because it's easier to
calculate the space for the rest of the drive. While there may be a
performance hit depending on location, I doubt that it's too
excessive. Heck, on my desktop with 2GB RAM, it never even touches
the swap anyway. I've been half tempted to just eliminate it.
--
Your choice makes the most sense, do it based on simplicity and
spend the time saved figuring out how to scam enough ram to make

Swap doesn't get used all that heavily on a system with enough
ram.

Agreed here. Another option is to use a file instead of a physical partition. While
this option is available, I think it is a bad idea.

A very bad idea for primary swap, although I have used swap files
for "emergency" swap space.