Re: [opensuse] administer vista from opensuse
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 18:16:15 -0700
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Stan Goodman
<stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 00:19:19 on Sunday Sunday 01 June 2008, Kai Ponte
<kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 31 May 2008 02:40:40 am jdd wrote:
Hello,

My 88 years old mother just bough a new computer. On the old one, she
used openSUSE, but on the new she will use Vista (she needs to play
some sort of power point files that I simply can't make play music on
opensuse, even in wine - given her age, I can't ask her too much)

I know little about vista, but there is some sort of "remote admin"

is this feature usable from my own openSUSE? (we are not in the same
town) I installed openSUSE primarily to be able to do remote admin
:-()

is that VNC?

You can use VNC, but Vista has built-in Remote Desktop Connection or
RDC software.

What has to be done in order to get past a firewall on either the
controlled or controller system?

Outbound from your system you don't need any firewall changes.

On the other end (mom's end) you need to allow port 5900 to be open
to the internet, and if that goes thru a router (such as adsl router)
that router must direct incoming port 5900 to mom's machine.

Usually simply installing VNC and running the server side of
VNC will open the port thru the windows firewall with the usual
amount of Vista "Allow or Deny" messages the first time.