Re: [opensuse] REXX scripting language
  • From: Hechler Family <dahechler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 02:21:11 -0500
Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

I used to do some REXX scripts on OS/2 and found it had a lot of
really nice stuff in it. It was also available on the Amiga IIRC.

Back in the late 80s, I wrote a lot of REXX code. Thousands of lines.
It was the only useful scripting language for IBMs Netview product.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

ALSO, I used it from VM, VSE, VM with VSE guest and, later, I heard it
was added to the AS/400 and MVS.

Each platform had it's own system calls to do internal functions as well
as scripting.

Some places, we built extensive end-user programs to get data-entry type
data, build control cards, and such, then built the JCL from the data,
wrapped the other data in and then "submitted" it to the virtual machine
VSE,

I wrote many, many "short cut" utilities for managers, programmers and
operators.

At my last place, using REXX, we had the marketing guys build all the
details to govern the output of direct mail programs that was submitted
to print. Like, page payout (size, margins,etc), fonts, text, parms from
databases, bins (cut sheet), etc. Text changes by the date and month

I wrote so many, I decided to compile them on an archive CD.

Several years ago, I used it in Windows and now using it in Linux for my
backup scripting

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ