Re: [opensuse] Bad Magic
On Wednesday 28 May 2008 01:57:20 pm Ken Schneider wrote:

Here's teh full error message I got this morning.

Installation of [S3:1][package]libvorbis-1.2.0-50.i586 failed:
(with --nodeps --force) Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed:
error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic (with --nodeps
--force) Error Installation of
[S3:1][package]libvorbis-devel-1.2.0-50.i586 failed: (with --nodeps
--force) Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of
archive failed: cpio: Bad magic (with --nodeps --force) Error

I believe I saw this same error but with different packages. This
happens on an old test machine with a flaky hard drive during install.
What I did to work around this was to go to ( while the error was
showing in the install window ) ctrl-alt F2 and chroot to the install
directory and run rpm --rebuilddb. When the rebuild was finished I
exited the chroot environment, go back to the install screen with alt F7
and hit retry to continue the installation.

thanks, Ken.

I did hit ctrl-alt-f2, which downgraded me to the command line. (I ended up
having to hit ctrl-alt-del to restart the computer.)

I tried the rebuilddb from a terminal session - not sure where the install
directory would be - and then continued. No dice.

I'll try with the F7 - AFTER I close out all my other windows.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

--