Re: [opensuse] REXX scripting language
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 16:56:24 -0400
Philipp Thomas wrote:
* Hechler Family (dahechler@xxxxxxxxxxx) [20080528 06:54]:

Coming from a 24 year mainframe and midrange background and being left
hanging out to dry - slowly, why was REXX never made mainstream in Linux?

Because Unix/Linux had other choices. I don't know about the mainframe
stuff, but os/2's cmd only had very limited batch features making REXX the
choice for serious scripting. Linux had powerfull shells plus a diverse
bunch of scripting languages, most prominently perl and python, so there
wasn't much interest in REXX.

Philipp
I used to do some REXX scripts on OS/2 and found it had a lot of really nice stuff in it. It was also available on the Amiga IIRC. I still have a copy of "Teach yourself Rexx in 21 Days", by Bill & Ester Schindler. I also have a REXX "Redbook" here somewhere.