Re: [opensuse] Bad Magic
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 16:57:20 -0400
Kai Ponte pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Tuesday 27 May 2008 03:18:51 pm Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Kai Ponte escribió:
Hmm - wierd. No plans to use factory or 11.0 sources here.
Then,were did you got glibc-2.8 if you dont have factory sources
configured in your package manager huh?

something is seriously wrong in your setup, and will get worse if you
happend to use smart, just dont.

Well, I checked my repository list.

I don't have any factory sources set. In the YaST community repositories I have checked only

Main Repository (NON-OSS)
Main Repositor (OSS)
Main Update Repository
NVIDIA Repository
Packman Repository
VideoLan Repository

Here's teh full error message I got this morning.

Installation of [S3:1][package]libvorbis-1.2.0-50.i586 failed: (with --nodeps --force) Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic (with --nodeps --force) Error Installation of [S3:1][package]libvorbis-devel-1.2.0-50.i586 failed: (with --nodeps --force) Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic (with --nodeps --force) Error

I believe I saw this same error but with different packages. This happens on an old test machine with a flaky hard drive during install. What I did to work around this was to go to ( while the error was showing in the install window ) ctrl-alt F2 and chroot to the install directory and run rpm --rebuilddb. When the rebuild was finished I exited the chroot environment, go back to the install screen with alt F7 and hit retry to continue the installation.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998