Re: [opensuse] SUSE, VBox and Gamer
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:54:55 +0200
Hey that's cool - I've been a full time linux user for quite a while myself,
and also play games. Heck, I've purchased a lot of 3D FPS titles - the doom
series, the quake series, RtCW, ut2000/2004, and others of the genre.

There's also the games being ported over by Linux Game Publishing...
X3 will probably be out soon... OK, it's an older game, but still a
nice one if you like space-sim type stuff.

That reminds me... Neverwinter Nights (the first one) runs native in Linux....

What is the quality of game play in games under wine? ISTR an annoying lag
between mouse/keyboard events and the corresponding reaction on the screen
with the programs I've run under wine a few years ago - that would be rather
irritating in game play. Do you detect a big difference between native
linux games and wintendo games under wine/cedega?

It depends on the game. The more recent the game, the less likely it
is to work well or at all. World of Warcraft is one of the big ones.
It works reasonably well under both Wine and Cedega (I know Cedega
only, and don't use Wine for gaming). It is good enough in Cedega for
me that I play it 100% there (kinda have to since I don't have Windows
at all anymore). Other games that work - at least for me... Oblivion,
Civ4, GTA San Andreas. Medal of Honor Allied Assault (and the
Spearhead expansion pack), F.E.A.R., Far Cry, etc.

Work is a subjective term of course (some people have probs depending
on hardware and local config)....
- WoW plays almost like native... there are currently a few graphical
issues (since patch 2.4 time frame) that are being worked on, and it
can crash in Battlegrounds (not often but does happen)
- Oblivion works well if you do all the tweaks described
- same with F.E.A.R and Far Cry (I play both fairly regularly)
- MOH plays like it's native
- GTA has issues. I've managed to get the game working except that
some of the textures for the people are missing so you get a grey
person shaped blob instead of a defined game character.
- Civ4 works fine
As for the annoying lag in keypress to action... I don't have any
issues with it... for example WoW is as responsive to the keyboard as
native, and I can participate in Battlegrounds, Instances etc with no
fears of being singled out because I'm playing in Linux.
There is a Cedega Wiki here:
http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/wiki/Main_Page which details a
lot of the tweaks needed to get various games up and running. eg
follow the instructions for F.E.A.R. and it'll work fine.

Overall... things work well enough for me in Cedega/Wine that i have
no need or desire to set up a Windows partition for gaming.

C.