Re: [opensuse] installing 10.3 on a disk with >15 partitions
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:21:11 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Of course, what I would prefer would be a direct interface, instead of
/dev/sda being called "/dev/dska", for instance, with no limitations,
and valid for scsi, usb, ata, sata, pata, firewire, etc. Or a move to
use words instead of bytes for the major,minor scheme. In that, I can
only hope, I can't do anything myself, of course.

Here's my take on this situation (keep in mind that I don't use >15
partitions myself) -

afaict, kpartx does a pretty good job of mapping partitions from
<device> to /dev/mapper/NNNNNN. I certainly haven't thoroughly tested
it though. If your SCSI/usb/firewire/etc. device can be read and
understood by kpartx, it'll probably work.

In 10.3 YaST has a problem with these device-mapper drives, as well as
the many partitions (the warning pop-up). If openSUSE is not to keen
on providing this more-than-15-partitions support in general, a
compromise might be an option for "experts" to enable kpartx at the
time of the pop-up window.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich