[opensuse] installing 10.3 on a disk with >15 partitions
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:14:51 +0200
Carlos and I were discussing this briefly in another thread, but I
thought it best to start a new one for this specific topic.

I've just attempted to install 10.3 on a disk with 26 partitions. I
only tried a small 6.4Gb drive in a test-system, so I didn't actually
make it anywhere, but I think it could well work.

Here's what I did:

1. start normal install from CD.
2. when YaST is running, and the step with "Loading harddisk modules"
(or somewthing like that) is complete, use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to swap into
text mode. Then Alt-F2 to swap to an active shell.
3. kpartx -a <harddrive> - I did "kpartx -a /dev/sdb".

ls -l /dev/disk/by-id should produce all of your partitions.

4. Alt-F7 to get back into YaST. Continue and choose "Custom
Partitioning".
5. Ask it to reread the partition table.

Now you should see all of your partitions with the kpartx set listed
as "DM".

This is as far as I got in round 1 - when I tried to edit one of my DM
partitions (to set mount point etc), I just got a winfow with a blue
bar saying "free", and a close button. I might go and change the
partition sizes and see if I can make it do something more sensible.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich