Re: [opensuse] kdesu bug when path includes spaces (openSUSE 11.0 Beta3 KDE4 LiveCD x86_64)
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 23:09:12 -0700
On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Washington Irving
<washton.irving@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To avoid this bug, just stop using bug-inducing directory and
file names.

You could have just as easily named the directory openSUSE_x64_Packages
and everything would be fine.

Well, on the other hand, it was my impression that linux at least
pretended to be
a posix system most of the time. This should have worked for the OP.

If I click almost any file with embedded spaces in Kong it does the right thing
and successfully opens the file using the appropriate default application, and
escapes the spaces properly.

I would have thought a better term would be "Bug Revealing" because the bug
was always there, waiting. The bug was induced by the software coder, not
the user.

Further, it works with an RPM file in Kong, so there is no excuse for it
failing in Dolphin.

In fact it seems just one more demonstration of how stunningly bad the idea
of replacing Kong with Dolphin instead of spending that development time
getting all the missing pieces working in kde4.