Re: [opensuse] kdesu bug when path includes spaces (openSUSE 11.0 Beta3 KDE4 LiveCD x86_64)
  • From: Washington Irving <washton.irving@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 01:09:01 -0400
Michael Mientus wrote:
Hi,

I have a directory (/home/michael/openSuSE x64 Packages/) with a
package (truecrypt-5.1a-0.x86_64.rpm) in it. When I click on the RPM
in Dolphin, KDE su launches with the following command "/sbin/yast2
--install /home/michael/openSuSE x64
Packages/truecrypt-5.1a-0.x86_64.rpm". After I enter my root password,
I get three separate errors: 1) Package
Packages/truecrypt-5.1a-0.x86_64.rpm was not found on the medium. 2)
Package x64 was not found on the medium. 3) Package
/home/michael/openSuSE was not found on the medium. After the three
errors, YaST quits.

The errors are obviously related to the spaces. But I am not sure if
this is openSuSE's problem or KDE's problem. I am inclined to believe
that the error lies with openSuSE because kdesu has no way of knowing
the last part is a path. I think there is a bug in one of the openSuSE
scripts.

Should I create a bug for this at bugzilla.novell.com?

Yes, it's a bug.

However, why in the world are you making directory names with
embedded spaces when you KNOW they cause problems because all
commands use anywhitespace as an argument delimeter?

To avoid this bug, just stop using bug-inducing directory and
file names.

You could have just as easily named the directory openSUSE_x64_Packages
and everything would be fine.

Also, I could use some help picking a better description since this is
not really a kdesu bug in my opinion. Can anyone tell me what those
"scripts" are called?

They're called scripts -- without any scare-quotes :-)

Thanks in advance.

Mike