Re: [opensuse] Please put DVDs on FTP
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 19:22:22 -0400
Larry Stotler wrote:
On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The big problem with light/moderately downloaded material
is that a few people using FTP seriously detracts from the
speed of the torrent...which pushes more people to the
FTP...vicious circle, and soon you have a bunch of people
hitting the FTP at not-too-great speeds, who, if they were
ALL on the torrent, would be getting great speeds AND the
suse server wouldn't be getting beat up.

It's too bad we can't make a protocol that forcibly transfers
a large number of downloaders from FTP to the torrent.

Then I would go somewhere else. Bittorrent can be a good thing IF
people seed. When they don't, then it's useless. And, some FTP

When you're trying to download, bittorrent enforces downloading
penalties for less-than-enthusiastic uploading, and very severe
ones for not seeding at all.

programs can resume in case of interuption. IIRC, there's an addon to
Firefox that will do just that.

I've been stuck too many times watching a 99.5% torrent and been
unable to do anything. With FTP, you know it will be finished and
won't just hang on you. Plus, that's why there are mirrors. I always
try to use a mirror instead of the main server when it's available.

Which further fractions the torrent :-(

Plus, with all the ISPs acting like bittorrent is ONLY for stealing
copyrighted material and trottling it(which may or not be the case
with my verizon connection),

I haven't had a serious problem there.

If you think they're interfering with your bittorrent feeds,
then send them legal notice that they're in breach of contract
and to stop that shit, because that's not in your service contract.

> it's just too much of a hassle. My 768k
DSL has never pushed faster than 400k per second, so a 350+ kb/s
download from an FTP site is better than a bittorrent that gos up and
down and takes at least 2-3 times longer to do the same thing.