Re: [opensuse] something like skype, but secure?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 23:58:23 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2008-05-04 at 19:44 +0200, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

POT is not encrypted, either.

True. But that doesn't mean it should stay that way and it's much harder to get onto the wire of telephone networks for attackers than it is to just to control a router between SIP end points.

Just a little bit more difficult. For my ISP it would be about as easy to tap my POTs line or the router... they own both. Actually, POTs is easier, there are centralized wiretapping facilities. I know, I worked there.

And my neighbor wouldn't have much difficulty to tap the wires if he wanted.

If we are worried about security, we need encryption end to end with something like pgp, not with keys owned by a company. Surely that should not be that difficult to add to open source programs. Another codec.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.