Re: [opensuse] something like skype, but secure?
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:47:17 -0700
On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sunday 2008-05-04 04:32, Sunny wrote:
>On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM, peter nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I'm so tired hearing again and again this stupid argument - if you are
>not doing something wrong, why should you care to hide it ...

aka:
"I have nothing to hide, but I do not have anything to tell you either."

I agree with this analogy, it states exactly why we have regulations preventing
anyone from opening your mail or bugging your phone without court
approval in MOST jurisdictions. Society has made assertions of an
expectation, if not a total right, to privacy in legal interactions with
others, be it verbal, or written, or transactions.

Those things that cause people difficulty are due to expectations of
privacy in places that such was never asserted or offered.

Public places, are by definition public, (oddly enough) and video/audio
monitoring are not forbidden. You may hold a conversation in Times Square,
but you would never have the expectation that it was private, even if
you spoke Klingon.

The largest source of confusion and false expectation is the
internet. There is not now, nor has there ever been an expectation
of privacy on this medium.

Right or wrong, this is the situation today, and if you use an
encrypted protocol you _may_ usurp some privacy, but its still
unclear that you have a "right" to it.

I think people become too easily confused with the attempt
to claim privacy in a public network (by what ever means) and the
actual transmission of illegal information.