Re: [opensuse] something like skype, but secure?
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 18:21:45 +0200
Peter J. P-N wrote:
Wolfgang Rosenauer schrieb:

So, I use skype, it work ok for me ... but I run it from a virtual
machine, which is set only for this purpose, w/o access to any of my
files.

So all is fine, isn't it? ;-)

Not really. As Benji stated there is SIP, which combined with a proper
router and a DECT phone is way more comfortable for me at lower costs
and better voice quality than skype. There is also gpl'ed wengophone if
a IP2IP connection or webcam is needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WengoPhone
http://www.openwengo.org/

For SIP on a computer I use twinkle.

I don't see any particular reason for using skype.

So even better for you ;-)
Although I do. It's even used as corporate communication tool where I work.
At some point I read a nice post comparing SIP and Skype (while you can't compare both really because they are too different) but I can't find it anymore unfortunately.
While SIP is an open protocol it's quite weak. For example no encryption which is one of the biggest issues for me. SIP just looks like a workaround to map telephony features to the Internet.

Please note that I don't like the fact that the Skype protocol and software is closed but still it works and it seems to be not evil to me (besides it's a vendor lock in). Everyone should just choose himself.
I'm using SIP (with my PBX), Skype and ekiga as softphone and just choose what fits best for the certain purpose.

Wolfgang