Re: [opensuse] something like skype, but secure?
  • From: "Mark Goldstein" <goldstein.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:12:29 +0300
On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 8:59 AM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

how do you know what and to whom it transfers?
How can you trust it? Only because skype people say they do not copy
your files? C'mon ...

Because I know what atime is, and I know what lsof does, and I know what
netstat is for.

Most of you probably know this page:

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~salman/skype/index.html

"Community" is watching the developments with Skype quite closely and
I hope in a moment somebody will see something suspicious, we'll hear
about it.

This is one of the references from this page:

http://www.skype.com/security/files/2005-031%20security%20evaluation.pdf

This is professional evaluation of Skype security. A bit outdated
(2005), but at least you can see that Skype provided access to their
source code and the impression of the researcher was positive.

Regards,
--
Mark Goldstein