Re: [opensuse] something like skype, but secure?
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 08:07:07 +0200
Sunny wrote:
On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 9:33 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After you have a look af the discussion on the wikipedia page, for
> instance, you will start to know what are the security issues of having
> skype in use in an organization.

These "serious issues" are due to the difficulty of filtering skype,
and a disgruntled person cans end secret files out thru skype file
transfer.

The same is true for any IM client with file transfer capability.
Skype per se, poses no risk, it is quite secure. It is capable
of being abused, just like anything else.

And ... being closed source, encrypting all the traffic, connecting to
unknown nodes w/o even asking you (as well as over most of the
restrictions you set with firewall), even not knowing for sure which
the central server is - how do you know what and to whom it transfers?
How can you trust it? Only because skype people say they do not copy
your files? C'mon ...

By monitoring Skype you could at least more or less say what data it transfers (speaking about files). Rest assured that some Skype users monitor that. (I do that by confining Skype in AppArmor for example.)
So people out there would have noticed if it would really be that bad.

So, I use skype, it work ok for me ... but I run it from a virtual
machine, which is set only for this purpose, w/o access to any of my
files.

So all is fine, isn't it? ;-)

Wolfgang