Re: [opensuse] howto Change IMAPS port? [SOLVED]
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 22:55:07 -0700
On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 9:10 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:

Anders Johansson wrote:

Did you try changing the port number for the imaps service in
/etc/services ?

No, I'll do that now. Since UW in, what I could find regarding c-client.cf
made no distinction between imap and imaps, I didn't have anything else to
try there.

Bingo,

Damn your good. Changed /etc/services imaps to 983 and it accepted
the login from firefox without any problem on port 983. Thanks.

For the list,

To move your imaps services to another port in order to operate two
separate imap servers on a NAT'ed domain that resolves to a single IP, here
is the solution. (Tested with UW imap, should work with others as long and
you can set the imap server to listen on the alternate port).

(1) Check /etc/services to find an available alternate port to use:

# grep Unassigned /etc/services

(2) Choose a port that makes since to you. Since I was moving from 993
and 983 was available, that made sense to me. Edit /etc/services and make
imaps services available on the new port:

imaps 983/tcp # imap4 protocol over TLS/SSL
imaps 983/udp # imap4 protocol over TLS/SSL
#imaps 993/tcp # imap4 protocol over TLS/SSL (commented out
5/08 - see 983 above)
#imaps 993/udp # imap4 protocol over TLS/SSL (commented out
5/08 - see 983 above)

--- for UW imap ---

(3) Edit /etc/c-client.cf and add the following line:

imap-port 983

(4) Edit /etc/xinetd.d/imap and add the 'port designation' to the
"services imaps" section. It should read as follows:

service imaps
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
port = 983
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/imapd
flags = IPv4
}

(5) Restart xinetd:

# rcxinetd restart

That's it, enjoy. If for some reason it doesn't work for you, ask
Anders. He is the only reason I got this working.

Interesting stuff. Two comments:

1) I can't think of a single other Imap server that runs under xinetd.
For something hit that often this seems really inefficient.
2) I'm surprised to learn that anything actually pays attention to
/etc/services. I had always assumed it was for reference only.