Re: [opensuse] Speech-to-Text
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 20:37:28 -0500
John Andersen wrote:
On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 1:23 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
With all speech recognition software you have to "train" it
which is a fairly time consuming process.

I can't speak to Dragon products, but the need to train is the key
thing that newer
technology is trying to eliminate in speech recognition. My phone requires no
training, I can just say "call David Rankin" and it would find you in the
address book. Same with Ford Active Sync. Same with some modern
telephone answering systems. (Call HP tech support to hear a demo.)

Admittedly these things are using a vastly reduced vocabulary. But never the
less, training is on the way out.

I definitely need a new phone. The Motorola v3xx is pretty good, but I end up in shouting matches with it just trying to get it to dial "Don". You know the scenario.

me: "name dial" "Don"
phone: "did you say home?"
me: "no"
phone: "say a command"
me: "name dial"
phone: "say the name"
me: "Don"
phone: "did you say home?"
me: "NO you %$#@#^%#$ phone, I said DON"
phone: "say a command"
AAARRRGGHHHH!

Seriously, my understanding is that with relatively few choices, the VR phones, etc. can do a good job because on the 1 or 2 word commands they receive, they can check it against their address book for possible 1 or 2 word answers. That dramatically cuts down on, or almost eliminates the training required.

On the other hand, general VR applications that you dictate too don't have that luxury. The vocabulary they deal with is orders of magnitude greater than a 1 or 2 word comparison to an address book.

I hope they have progressed far enough to eliminate most of the training, but just a couple of years ago, the training for dragon, etc. was on the order of weeks. Especially for specialized vocabulary. Imaging saying "vscanf" or "strtol" into the mic and then listening to the hard drive whir... much less "Respondeat Superior" or "melanoma".

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC