Re: [opensuse] Speech-to-Text
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 15:28:23 -0700
On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 03 May 2008 23:59:00 John Andersen wrote:
> Admittedly these things are using a vastly reduced vocabulary. But never
> the less, training is on the way out.

Doesn't that require that dialects disappear as well?

I can easily find three English/American dialects which *you* couldn't
understand. What chance would your phone have?

Phones are sold into specific markets, and they know about several
languages, you select one when setting up the phone.

I can't say how well it would work for an Australian or Indian speaker
but my phone, sold to the North American market works quite well
with finding names in the phone book, selecting menu options, etc.
Works equally well for my wife. No clue how they do this.

Nuance Inc is the big dog in this area. They have been buying up
the competition mostly for patents. They have their software in many
different phones, Personal Navigation Devices, Automobile accessories
and desktop applications.

Disclosure: I'm a stock holder of Nuance.
I suspect Voice reco is going to go big time in many different
industry segments in coming years, which is why I bought the
stock.