Re: [opensuse] Speech-to-Text
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 00:13:27 +0200
On Saturday 03 May 2008 23:59:00 John Andersen wrote:
Admittedly these things are using a vastly reduced vocabulary. But never
the less, training is on the way out.

Doesn't that require that dialects disappear as well?

I can easily find three English/American dialects which *you* couldn't
understand. What chance would your phone have? In Sweden, some dialects might
as well be different languages - the words really are the same, but they're
pronounced so differently from how I would pronounce them, that in practice
there is virtually no similarity. Here in Germany, the difference between
Fränkisch and Hochdeutch makes my life difficult on a daily basis, I can't
even begin to imagine what an algorithm would look like that could
incorporate them both.

And I'm told the situation in countries like India is even more extreme

So sure, training might be on the way out, as long as you adhere to some sort
of "standard" way of speaking. But for most of us, I think it will always be
needed

Anders