Re: [opensuse] something like skype, but secure?
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 12:19:29 -0700
On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 03 May 2008 18.27:53, Mark Goldstein wrote:
> John,
>
> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 7:07 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Skype does not have major security risks. Yes the protocol
> > has been cracked, but there there are no exploits available.
> > Those cracking it wanted to block it, not hijack it.
>
> Do you have any reference on Skype protocol cracking? I remember
> reading quite serious investigations and it looked they only scratched
> the surface. They all agreed that Skype is quite well protected.

It's not that I fear somebody could crack Skype protocoll, it's that Skype is
owned by ebay and installing software from ebay on my computer is like
installing software from M$.

Say what?

There are many stories around in the web about what Skype searches for in
your
computer, how it obscures it's traffic and what it does, how it bypasses the
firewall not only for the communications intended by the user... etc.

Skype "searches for in your computer"? ???

Bypassing the firewall is the beauty of skype, a documented feature.

Firewall traversal is not difficult.
Skype is a community supported protocol, not dissimilar
from BitTorrent in concept. If you have skype running and you are not
behind a firewall (or a port is forwarded inward) you provide routing
for encrypted traffic for other community users. Your machine is not
at risk due to this traffic because it is all encrypted. As is your
traffic.

While some might just be "stories" - with closed source programs there is no
chance (for me) to approve whether they are true or not. As I know about the
absolutely disastrous way paypal behaves, I wouldn't open my computer for
this company.

Paypal is disastrous how? Since you never have to install anything to use
paypal, I can't imagine what disasters you are going on about.

It is also a "question of principle" or maybe kind of a "political statement"
that I'd like to have only open source software on my computer....

Fair enough.