Re: [opensuse] something like skype, but secure?
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 19:02:50 +0200
> There is lots of SIP[0] based phone software. Such as wengophone[1],
> ekiga[2]. Also hardware[3] phones. These use open standardised
> protocols, you are not tied into any particular service provider.
>
> __
> [0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol
> [1] http://packman.links2linux.de/package/wengophone
> [2]
> http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE%3A10.3&p=1&q=ekiga
> [3]
> http://amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-2866912-0599815?url=search-alias%3
>Daps&field-keywords=sip+phone&x=0&y=0

Just to add a vote... I use Ekiga all the time. It will connect to
any VoIP provider that uses standard SIP protocols (example, I have
been using Freecall.com - based in Köln, DE if that makes any
difference, and I have no connections with them other than as a
customer).

I have found that in openSUSE 10.3, Ekiga and Skype battle for access
to my USB headset... not an issue if you don't use Skype :-)

C.