Re: [opensuse] something like skype, but secure?
  • From: Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 18:52:48 +0200
On Saturday 03 May 2008 18.27:53, Mark Goldstein wrote:
John,

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 7:07 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Skype does not have major security risks. Yes the protocol
has been cracked, but there there are no exploits available.
Those cracking it wanted to block it, not hijack it.

Do you have any reference on Skype protocol cracking? I remember
reading quite serious investigations and it looked they only scratched
the surface. They all agreed that Skype is quite well protected.

It's not that I fear somebody could crack Skype protocoll, it's that Skype is
owned by ebay and installing software from ebay on my computer is like
installing software from M$.

There are many stories around in the web about what Skype searches for in your
computer, how it obscures it's traffic and what it does, how it bypasses the
firewall not only for the communications intended by the user... etc.

While some might just be "stories" - with closed source programs there is no
chance (for me) to approve whether they are true or not. As I know about the
absolutely disastrous way paypal behaves, I wouldn't open my computer for
this company.

It is also a "question of principle" or maybe kind of a "political statement"
that I'd like to have only open source software on my computer....

Daniel
erotic art photos: http://www.bauer-nudes.com/en/linux.html
Madagascar special: http://www.fotograf-basel.ch/madagascar/