Re: [opensuse] new system question
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 03:20:43 -0500
Russ Fineman wrote:
The hardware compatibility list appears to be out of date. Has anyone had any experience with the following??

Processor Speed 2.40 GHz, 1066 FSB, 8MB Processor Type Intel® Core™ 2 Quad RAM 4 GB, 667MHZ DDR2 SDRAM (4 Modules) Hard Drive Size 150 GB SATA (Will replace with 2x320GB Maxtor drives that are in my present system)

Motherboard is an Intel with 975 chip set.

Any comments would be helpful. One of my main concerns is will I have to use the 2.6.22.18-SL103_BRANCH_20080221152521-default kernel so it will boot past the SATA controllers. My present ASUS motherboard with SIS SATA controlers will only boot with the above kernel or with 11.0 alpha 2. Have not had time to try Beta 1.

Thanks for any insight!

Russ,

Have you gone through your BIOS options thoroughly to see if you have the option to set the sata controller for boot or set sata as the primary boot method. It could be a boot "other" setting as well. The last 3 boards I built all had those subtle options hidden in the BIOS.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC