Re: [opensuse] USB PC Camera install
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 14:19:47 +0700
On Friday 02 May 2008, Mike McMullin wrote:
On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 23:22 +0700, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
On Thursday 01 May 2008, Mike McMullin wrote:
On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 22:57 +0700, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
Got a USB PC camera which I would like to use with Skype.
It was a cheapy and I found not very much on google about drivers to
be used. The camera, 0c45:613e microdia cam, should work with the
sn9c102 driver, at least that is what the table of "USB device
supported by debian Kernel Modules" tells me. In this list I also
find under the USB id following lettersoup:
dz*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc*ip*

There is no explanation towards this row of letters.
I assume that if Debian supports it in its kernel, Suse will have it
too but found no info on Google.
Attached the webcam to my Laptop, Pentium IIi with Suse 10.3 and KDE
and ran modprobe sn9c102. No protest from the system.
Lsusb -v gives no address or any info if the webcam is running.
What is the next step in order to see with the webcam. Seems that
no /dev/video is made. Something like QuickCam Messenger? or any
other program to have some camera exercise?

Try lsmod and look for sn9c102, I suspect that it is not loaded
properly.

Its there ;)

v412_common 20608 2 sn9c102, videodev

Here is my section from lsmod:
gspca 656720 0
videodev 26880 1 gspca
v4l1_compat 16388 1 videodev
v4l2_common 26240 1 videodev

How does that look on yours? I have to manually compile and install
the gspca driver on this system every kernel update.

Sorry, it took me a while to answer.
No webcam up to now but the sn9102 is present in the kernel.
This i my output from lsmod:

sn9c102 120452 0
videodev 30464 1 sn9102
v4l1_compat 16388 1 videodev
v42l2_common 20608 2 sn9102, videodev

Ran gqcam because I found it installed but the result is:
/dev/video: no such file or directory

So how do I produce a /dev/video? Yast does not seem to have an installer for
webcams.