Re: [opensuse] trouble with Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT PCI-E graphics card
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 17:14:54 -0700

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121097>

Mine's arriving by UPS today, so I have more than a passing interest
in this!

I will let you know later this afternoon if this is a problem for the
ASUS card. Perhaps the XFX engineers did something funky in the board
identification circuitry or code. Or maybe the unit you got is just
defective.

I can report that the upgrade was entirely, 100% smooth, seemless and
uneventful. I shut down, swapped cards, started back up and everything
work perfectly, but 3D apps were much nicer, especially SecondLife,
which gave routinely 24+ FPS even in complex scenes. Celestia and
Stellarium were also much improved.

Randall Schulz
(not my SL name...)