Re: [opensuse] TV Capture
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 14:33:08 -0400

When I first installed Mythtv, many years ago, I simply went to the MythTV
site and patiently followed the directions step by step. I figured it would
take me 6 months, because back then I didn't know too much.

It was not that hard at all. You first have to hunt down the prerequisites
they mention, and install them with yast or command line rpm. Then
be prepared to interrupt your work and install some more prerequisites
that they fail to mention.

There is nothing too hard about it, and no need to actually write any
code or even patch any code. Think of it as a month long project
and don't be impatient. The first 100 years are the hardest. ;-)

The regular MythTv directions work very well for building from
source, which is what I did.

However there are packages for Suse available on Packman.
See:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Opensuse_10.3
read down to "Install the required packages".

Hi,
thanks for the encouragement and direction of how to procede. Patience and persistence are the prerequisites for learning linux.

I have been able to get the mythtv packages installed via yast. The problem I had was getting it working. I ran afoul of things it said to do to get it setup, which I did, which it then didn't recognize I had done. I am sure your advice regarding the mythtv site will be helpful.

Mark