Re: [opensuse] TV Capture
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 10:16:38 -0700
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Mark Misulich
<munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John Andersen wrote:

Have you considdered MythBuntu http://www.mythbuntu.org/
It does it all. May not be the solution for your ONLY machine unless you
can
live with Ubuntu, but it does install it and get it working pretty
much out of the box.

Hi,
thanks for sending me the info. I did know about this, I also read that
Fedora works well with mythtv.

I looked the mythbuntu site over and thought that I may have to install it
on another machine and play with it to learn how to get myth running.
Hopefully that will give me enough knowledge to later get mythtv working on
Suse.

I would like to keep learning info that will help me to get tv capture
going on Suse. That is the distro that I prefer to use. I have used it
since I began linux, and I know the most about it.

Mark

When I first installed Mythtv, many years ago, I simply went to the MythTV
site and patiently followed the directions step by step. I figured it would
take me 6 months, because back then I didn't know too much.

It was not that hard at all. You first have to hunt down the prerequisites
they mention, and install them with yast or command line rpm. Then
be prepared to interrupt your work and install some more prerequisites
that they fail to mention.

There is nothing too hard about it, and no need to actually write any
code or even patch any code. Think of it as a month long project
and don't be impatient. The first 100 years are the hardest. ;-)

The regular MythTv directions work very well for building from
source, which is what I did.

However there are packages for Suse available on Packman.
See:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Opensuse_10.3
read down to "Install the required packages".