Re: [opensuse] Windows vs. Suse OO docuent file size
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 21:30:03 -0400
Rajko M. wrote:
On Saturday 19 April 2008 07:29:46 am Mark Misulich wrote:
Hi,
I hope that this is the proper venue to ask this question, otherwise I will
get 30 or so replys telling me otherwise.

I produce a monthly newsletter for an organization to which I belong. I
have been using MS Word to do it, but I really would prefer to produce it
in Open Office on Suse. This month I tried to produce it in Open Office
and was able to do it, and I thought that was grand. Goodbye WinXP, hello
Suse! My file size in Word was about 4400kb, and OO file size was 396kb for
the same document saved in opendocument format.

I have to convert the files to PDF files for two reasons, the first is that
we don't want the document to be easily altered once it is sent out. The
second, and most important from a practical aspect is that the file size
has to be small enough to be downloaded by members who are on dialup. The
file size of the Word/PDF conversion is 97kb, and the OO/PDF conversion is
402kb. I use a personal limit of 300kb for document size when I send out
the newsletter, otherwise it takes too long for the dialup users to
download the document.

I would like to know if there is a way to get around this. I tried to zip
the file and the resultant OO pdf file was 397kb. I don't need to zip the
XP/pdf, it is small enough already.]

You can try saving it in doc book format, and then using docbook2pdf.
see:
$ man docbook2pdf