Re: [opensuse] Quick perl question - why are @array[$num] and $array[$num] the same?
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 20:03:33 +0200
On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 10:57 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:

Randall Schulz

That's real, real bad news Randall, I'm already 60% through perl.

It's worth taking a look at, if only for familiarization.
But don't try to do a "monster" program with it.
10000 lines of shell-script is more maintainable than
100 lines of perl.

Well,

My purpose for looking at perl was I wanted a more robust bash. I
wanted
something that had better file handling, data structures, loop and
conditional
expression support, regexp support, floating point, etc.. Just something that
would allow me to do in 20-30 lines of code all (or at least 99%) the
administrative stuff I need to do, but where I have run into limitations in
bash.

If I was ever going to do a big project, it would be in c/c++, (heaven
forbid
Fortran) something I already know. I thought perl would be a step up in
scripting language from bash. Is that the wrong move? Would something else
give
me all perl's functionality in a better script language? I was really looking
forward to the CPAN resource.

You guys let me know what you think. Thanks.

(quite) Some years ago i had to solve a nice puzzle.
Eventually i cracked it, with pieces written in bash, csh, awk and sed.

Then i was introduced into perl, and love it ever since, as it has all
the goods of both (4) worlds.

Only drawback is that you have to practice it daily...