Re: [opensuse] KDE4 and opensuse 11.0 [changed]
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 12:46:57 -0500
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
To make this industry scenario a little more realistic:

Importantly, the first week of April is our decision point, not deep freeze.
The KDE 4 packages would continue to be updated with bulk fixes from
Subversion until the end of May, and critical fixes through the RC cycle. So
you'd be using what you had in your hand to sell what's coming next, not what
you have in your hand.

Curious if anyone knows if the above decision was made and which way it went.

Greg

For sanity's sake let us pray that 3.x is still the default and that 4.x is an option. It would be a pity for first time users to get caught by the numerous 4.x gotchas and give up on linux because "it just doesn't work". Sure an experienced user may be able to dig through ~/.kde/share/config/ and /opt/kdeX/ and recover, but this is far beyond what anyone wanting to "try" Novell openSuSE is capable of doing.

After the 10.3 install issues and broken recover system, I sure would like to see 11.0 come out clean without any major gotchas...

Surely Novell understands that.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC