Re: [opensuse] Quick perl question - why are @array[$num] and $array[$num] the same?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 11:26:46 -0500
Randall R Schulz wrote:

If you're already engaged with Perl, just stick with it. If you're a programming professional or want to be, you'll need to work with lots of languages and understand them and their strengths and limitations at a deeper level than someone who just wants to get some day-to-day, one-off tasks done and won't need to, e.g., support other people using or maintaining your code. Either way, having some experience with Perl won't be a bad thing.

No, I'm not looking for a career change. (though sometimes I wonder) Other than being a past aero-engineer, my current involvement with computers is simply keeping my office running and helping others out. I have 4 servers I baby sit and about a dozen or so other boxes.

I do run across a number of uses for this knowledge in my practice though. We continually get document productions sent to us in electronic format in all different types, engineering specs, accounting data, email logs, digital images and video. We are required to digitally file all documents in the Federal court system. It is useful for me to be able to do whatever needs to be done to reformat/extract/merge the needed information and to be able to catalog in a database information related to each document. Linux is fantastic in this area and shell scripting really helps automate a large number of the required tasks.

In doing that, I continually try to add new tools to my toolbox. perl is the next shiny new tool for my box.

Thanks for your insight into the strengths and limitations and alternative to perl.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC