Re: [opensuse] Quick perl question - why are @array[$num] and $array[$num] the same?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 08:52:10 -0700

I gave up on perl.
It makes my brain hurt -- like trying to read 1970's era BASIC
code.

I concur. Perl verges on being an abomination. "Pathetically
eclectic rubbish lister" indeed!

I once (in the Perl 4 era) wrote a code generation tool in Perl,
but I no longer can even read that stuff.

If you're going to start programming things that go beyond what
works well in BASH, you'd be better off with Python or Ruby or even
Groovy.

Randall Schulz

That's real, real bad news Randall, I'm already 60% through perl.
Bummer. Python huh? I'll look at it. I presume it handles floating
point, and has the capabilities of perl? (oh no, here we go again...)

Well, I'm probably overstating it. Perl is immensely practical, but it's
offensive from a programming language theory standpoint and from a
programming-in-the-large perspective it will lead you down the garden
path to impenetrable and unmaintainable spaghetti code.

But for for simple programming tasks that go beyond what's comfortable
in the shells, I suppose it's OK. It also has lots of libraries and the
whole CPAN mechanism is nice.

--
David C. Rankin

Randall Schulz