Re: [opensuse] Novell Bugzilla - At it Again - Bugs Apparently Dismissed Without Sufficient Investigation
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:07:08 -0500
Dave Howorth wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:
I installed a
plain-jan pci-e ATI card running with the open source driver. Just as
with the nvidia 8600GT card (using the opensource "nv" driver), the
system still gives occasional MCEs. Just as with the 8600, the MCEs do
not have any affect on the system. If I wasn't logging them with mcelog,
I would never know they were occurring.

It sound like you now have a means of reproducing the problem with two
flavours of hardware and with only open-source software loaded. If
that's so, I'd suggest opening a new bugzilla and only mentioning those
configurations and logs. I would expect Novell to investigate that, but
if it doesn't affect your system I don't suppose it will be high priority !

Cheers, Dave

Well Dave,

While not conceding any aspect of the point regarding the "hardware v. software" source of the problem, I have shrunk from the immediate software battle and resorted to the brute force approach. With only 2 possible remaining candidates as the source of any "hardware" error, the mb is on its way back to Tyan. After the replacement is received, if errors continue, (I wager they will) the opteron is going back to AMD, and then if the problems continue, we will remount the software attack by reopening the bug report. At that point it will either be a true hardware incompatibility or a true bug in the x86-64 code in dealing with that hardware combination.

Thanks to all for the great discussion on this thread. I will start a new thread as a continuation after all the new hardware is received.

By the way, much of the content at 3111skyline is off-line until the hardware returns. Just in case anyone finds a broken link from the prior posts.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC