Re: [opensuse] Tom Tom One XL Europe ..
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 04:24:09 -0400
peter nikolic wrote:
On Sunday 06 April 2008, Catimimi wrote:
peter nikolic a écrit :
Hi .

Has anyone managed to get a TomTom one XL to showup on the USB port under
10.3 i have just purchased one of these as they Run Linux inside but i
can not git it to show up at all , Ideas anyone

Pete .
Hello,

I just tried with my TomTom Go 910 with openSUSE 10.3. Works fine, the
TomTom asks if
I want to connect to the computer and I'm able to see my disk and its
contents.
Michel.

Hi ..
yes i can see it as a storage device ok but it is things like the various updates from the tomtom site that are done via the tomtom home system that i want to get going , I have been in contact with TomTom they "say" they have a Linux version of TomTom Home in the pipeline i will believe it when i see it have maileds them again today so will wait and see what transpires .

Considering that they actually use Linux in the device it should not bee too difficult and they also have an MAC version for OSX10.xxx then a linux version shouldbe easy meat , I believe it to be more of a political thing as normal that a difficulty in writing the software ..

Properly written, porting from OSX to Linux should be trivial,
Especially compared to porting from Windows to OSX or vice-versa.

Keep on this:
It never hurts to apply pressure to the sales staff,
by mentioning that if they DID produce a Linux version, your
place of work might be much more likely to purchase TomTom
products for delivery vehicles or other uses.

In the workplace, I always play off Sun and HP against each
other when I don't see some support that I need in a product.
"Oh well... I guess in our next technology upgrade, we're going
to have to migrate these machines to <competitor>."

That always gets the sales staff buzzing....