Re: [opensuse] Help with help
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 03:36:35 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2008-04-05 at 12:17 -0400, Ed McCanless wrote:

I only have 8 dir's in /usr/share/doc.... Everything KDE seems to be
missing.
The help files for kde3 (kbabel is version 3) are under
/opt/kde3/share/doc..., all in docbook format, and konqueror is unable
to find them.
<snip>

I have nothing in /opt/kde3/share/doc..., but empty dir's and Display
Manager for KDE 3.4

I am using Suse 10.3 64 bit, have never installed KDE 4.
Mine is still KDE 3.5.7 Release 72.6

It appears that kde 4 uses a tree under /usr, while kde 3 uses one under /opt. When you install both kde 3 and 4 in 10.3 the files are separate, but when you call a program that exists on both trees it is the one on the kde4 that gets executed, even if called from kde 3 - simply because "/usr" is first in the path environment var, I guess.

An interesting but unfortunate mixture.

One of the things that goes out of the window then is the help system.

I removed kde4 entirely because of this problem.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.